Thursday, January 6, 2011

a proper lunch


The way lunch should be.

While not a formal resolution, a proper lunch seems to be making all the difference to my mental health so far this year. It is not helping me save money, lose weight, or drink less, but it does create a structured amount of time to step away from my desk, spend time with a friend, and relax for an hour (or an hour and a half if I'm feeling bold).

Yesterday, while debating whether or not to enjoy a cocktail at my proper lunch with the delightful J (Me: No, I won't. I won't, no. Well, I'm going to the gym tomorrow so maybe), she enabled me in the most effective way: "Whatever," she said, "I'm having champagne. The French drink wine with lunch, it's normal."

Indeed! I looked around at the other people having lunch and wondered why we deny ourselves the small things. And so, we had a glass of champagne, we clinked glasses, and even returned to work with time left on the meter. In 2011: I resolve not to deny myself the little things.

xo,
L

6 comments:

JMP said...

If only the French ate french fries at lunch....

Along the Ausable said...

Yay for champagne at lunch! Is it wrong that I just had a beer before my first Library Board Meeting?

eyeheartorange said...

Is wine at lunch whilst working from home frowned upon? Best saved for a lunch out I guess! Cheers!

L said...

I do not judge a pre-Library Board Meeting beer, nor an at home lunch glass of wine. It's just one, after all!

Pucho V said...

I think that as long you stay somewhere between no drink and Mad Men you're fine.

Courtney said...

My boss and I work 1100 miles apart, both at home, and we decided to have a mimosa while working on a rather tedious project the other day. It was fun. Not exactly proper. Or lunch. But fun.