Tuesday, September 14, 2010

cures what ails you


Follow these super easy directions when brain power is low.

I'm home alone. P is galavanting somewhere Out West. I'm feeling quite sorry for myself, as I have a nasty cold. Before you start playing the world's tiniest violin for me, I thought I'd take this opportunity to reflect on the age old tradition of using booze to fix your problems. [Note: To clarify, I do NOT advocate using booze to fix problems other than colds.]

My mother introduced me to the hot toddy one sniffly evening, and I will forever associate it with her compassion for the sick. When I resort to the hot toddy, I know I'm really craving my mom's sympathy. It's a good stand in sometimes.

A hot toddy is one of those old-fashioned, I-just-came-in-from-the-moor comforts (or I imagine I would like one if I had just come in from a moor). When you've got the sniffles and are skulking around in your ancient Irish sweater, you probably need one.  Luckily, I usually always have lemons, honey, whiskey/bourbon, and water on hand.

And so, last night I hunkered down with my hot whiskey, wool sweater, bad tv, and sorry for myself attitude. I didn't feel so lonely anymore. Today, I am fueled on the more modern remedy called Dayquil. It's not as pleasant and I wouldn't mix a hot toddy and a Dayquil, but you do what you must to get by.

xo,
L
P.S. Usher and Jay-Z also like the hot toddy. I think they might be using a metaphor though...

8 comments:

JMP said...

Sorry for the TMI, but booze also works wonders during a certain time of the month....

Feel better! (xoxo from a distance, don't want to catch anything!)

L said...

Thanks, JMP. I did not know that about booze.

Keeping my germs safe at home, thanks!xo

Pucho V said...

You poor thing. I'd much rather be home making you a hot toddy than riding in a minivan through Southern Wyoming. I also wish that riding in a minivan through Southern Wyoming were a metaphor for something cooler than riding in a minivan through Southern Wyoming.

Feel better soon!

brettjsmith said...

Ole Miss even (sort of) mentions the Hot Toddy in their favorite cheer; Hoddy toddy gosh almighty
who in the hell are we...HEY!!! flim flam, bim bam
OLE MISS BY DAMN!!!

Don't even ask why I know that...

eyeheartorange said...

I was glad to learn that you almost always have water on hand. That is a plus. We should wander the moors sometime!

xo

Pucho V said...

Yeah eho, it is kind of weird. She's always walking around with her camelback (and her pockets are stuffed with lemons, honey, and bourbon). While that would be helpful wandering around the desert, mountains, or--say--the moors, it is kind of strange at the mall.

eyeheartorange said...

PV cracks me up.

L said...

You jest, yet I remember a certain January weekend with no hot water. Not very nice, was it?

B -- What is the deal with Ole Miss? They act like they don't know who they are, but actually they do.