Thursday, June 17, 2010

in a...

Pickle?

Pete has been wanting to make pickles for quite some time now. He has had the perfect pickle jar waiting empty on a shelf. Neither of us has wanted to deal with canning, although I do love the idea of it. Very Anne of Green Gables, but I'm afraid I don't have the patience for it, and I am a tad afraid of giving myself and my loved ones botulism.

Our problem was solved when we recently adapted this recipe for easy refrigerator pickles. We added a bay leaf and some corriander seeds, et voila!


Easy, no listeria, keeps in the fridge for 6 months!

So, until I have a pantry in which to keep my currant wine and pickled sundries, I will keep them in the fridge.

xo,
L
PS - Just fyi, I know that some of you reading this are very adept at canning, pickling, and jar-ing; I eat your preserved foods without fear. In fact I welcome the opportunity. It is only my own skill I question.
PPS - Happy Birthday, Elizabeth!

3 comments:

Along the Ausable said...

i am sending you something in the mail. you might or might not like it. and no, it is not something i canned. i don't trust my jarring skills either.

Elizabeth Brady said...

Wow! I kind of feel famous being mentioned on the blog. Bring on the PICKLES!! next stop pickled pigs feet?

L said...

@AtA: I am intrigued...

@Eliz: yes, bring on the tootsies.