Wednesday, May 19, 2010

dipping into the box of nostalgia


Pete has a box that he keeps in our basement storage room. It is filled with mementos of his travels, souvenirs and photos. It is labeled with a piece of masking tape that reads: "NOSTALGIA."

Pete often refers to his box of nostalgia (and how I make him keep it in the basement). I don't collect that many physical souvenirs anymore, but I definitely have a very deep mental box of nostalgia. [Note: a "mental box of nostalgia" is admittedly even weirder than an acutal "box of nostalgia." Bear with me.] 

The Manhattan, the perfect birthday cocktail.
He makes 90 look good.

Many members of my mother's side of the family traveled to Delaware this past weekend to celebrate my grandfather's 90th birthday. Unexpectedly, we stayed near the same town that we used to visit on vacation when we were kids. I haven't been there for over 20 years.

I was nervous to visit the boardwalk, which in my box of nostalgia is just about the shiniest, most-perfect childhood memory. I was afraid that it wouldn't live up to the scenes I'd stored away. I was afraid it would be in decline, dingy, run down. Sometimes, I am very happily surprised.
My favorite ride.

Much smaller, but other than that, perfectly preserved. I caught my father looking around at all the little kids running about and saw that he was reliving happy memories, too. My mother went on these rides, my aunt and uncles fit in these same tiny boats.

Then we went on the bumper cars and ate crabs.

Another one to put in the box:
a porch swing, a friendly dog, cold beer, good company.

xo,
L

8 comments:

Courtney said...

What's with the adopted dog you mentioned earlier? Beautiful post, by the way...

L said...

Why thank you. Golly, I'm feeling sappy.

Adopted dog... no, but doesn't everyone sort of want to adopt a dog?

JMP said...

Dude, you just made me tear up.

Pucho V said...

What she forgot to mention was how I galloped past her entire family in the horse-racing game and won her a grey stuffed horse.

(Note: credit for the original "nostalgia" box goes to my brother-in-law Jamey)

Anna said...

What a wonderful trip and post! I am sure that there will be many memories of this trip for the future. Plus, who can't love a gray stuffed horse won by your husband?

Along the Ausable said...

lovely. that is all. so lovely.

Elizabeth Brady F. said...

:)happy

eyeheartorange said...

great post! It's nice when things remain the same :)