Sunday, January 17, 2010

pop


poof...

Right now, I am making popovers. In fact, please hold on a moment, I need to take them out of the oven. Oops, not quite done yet. I'm back.

This morning I woke up obsessing about January and how far away January is from summer. Determined not to get out of bed cursing New England, I forced myself to focus on embracing winter. What's good about winter? Ice skating, hot chocolate, reading by a window on a weekend afternoon... Then I got hungry and my mind fortuitously skipped to a passage in Little Women where the sisters discuss this magical food called "popovers."


The Excerpt to which I refer (from the play not the book)...

I don't know that I've actually ever eaten a popover until today, but clearly I had carefully stored away this literary memory for a winter morning just such as this. (Am I writing strangely? I am pretending I'm in Concord with my sisters and we're going to go eat popovers and have a snowball fight. I might be wearing a fur muff which was a gift from my rich great aunt, and carefully mended gloves...)


pop...


xo,
L

12 comments:

Along the Ausable said...

You are killing me! Popovers are my fave. Can we please have a SLU do over, so we can be friends this time? So you can invite me over to your dorm room to watch shows on a big tv, make me fun cocktails, and eat pizza rolls and popovers?

JMP said...

Clearly you intended to invite Dan and me over to sample your popovers--Dan is an expert popover judge--and you forgot...

JMP said...

Just think of us as your Hummels.

Pucho V said...

I've come to realize that my popover limit is 3. 2 is probably adequate, but I can't do 4.

Pucho V said...

JMP, Dan is also a Little Women expert, too, isn't he. He can't hide this from me...I think I spotted some Louisa May Alcott on your bookshelves.

Courtney said...

Yum! They look delicious!

L said...

Dear friends, you are always welcome to come over for popovers. If only I had planned better, I could have visited you all door to door with a basket of popovers for each of you....

@AtA: I was not making popovers while at SLU, so let's be friends now!

@JMP: You are my Hummell. But, without the scarlett fever, or whatever it was...

Pucho V said...

Yeah, she was too busy playing Foosball at the Hoot Owl to make popovers. So I hear.

JuneBug said...

Yum! Those look amazing... I was first introduced to popovers at a great little restaurant in Amherst MA called Judy's. You should check it out if you are ever that way!

eyeheartorange said...

Your memory just triggered one for me! We had a kids cookbook when I was little and that was one of the recipes I always wanted to try but never did. Yum! Maybe this weekend. xoxo

eyeheartorange said...

Pop goes the comments section!

Pucho V said...

Yeah, 11 comments, huh? Let's make it 12. Hello from Phoenix, the land of the soggy cacti.