Saturday, December 19, 2009

welcome to the 21st century


RIP, TV: 1997-2009

When I was 18 years old and preparing to head off to college, I went shopping with my mom to buy a TV for my dorm room. Woo! I was looking at little 16" sets, but my mother wisely said to me: "You should get a bigger TV. Someday you will have an apartment and you will want to have a bigger TV."

So true, so true. I bought a giant 21".

12 1/2 years later, my TV has lived with me in many apartments, with many roommates, we got married and belonged to Pete, too.

Over the past few months, I noticed that TV was getting some gray hairs. Strange bands of white in the top left corner of the screen, a purple glow in the bottom right corner. I feared TV was not long for this world....

On Friday, December 18, 2009, Pete said to me: "Does the color look kind of weird, or is it just me...?" I was in denial (we were watching a sort of sci-fi thing, so maybe everyone was supposed to look purple/green). Alas, he was right. Things did look kind of weird. In fact, they looked really weird. RIP, TV....

We now have a Christmas SALE 32" flat screen. I can see people's pores. Everything is so crisp and clear I feel like I'm wearing amber vision shades. I feel like a fool for defending my 12 1/2 yr old TV against the HD for so long. And yet...

I miss you, TV. You will always live on in my memory (and in my office until we learn how to recycle you...).

xo,
L

5 comments:

tshimizubrennan said...

AWWW, RIP.
If the TV is still around please let it know that I appreciate for the great memory when we were watching a movie on it at SLU and we were mistaken as a couple by the Surgey's delivery boy ;)

Pucho V said...

Do you think it's time to upgrade our VCR to a DVD player? And what about getting one of those iPod thingies? My discman is getting a bit worn out.

Courtney said...

I remember when you got it! So sad!

eyeheartorange said...

buh bye, t.v.
I love this post.
We, too, have crap t.v.s...
Maybe someday we will join you and your shiny electronics.

L said...

I think the appropriate term is "antique," not "crap," TPS. Cherish your oldies while they are still with you.

TSB - that was one romantic night. I'll never forget it!