Thursday, August 20, 2009

time warp: apparently, I've grown...


Hmmm, much more peaceful than how I remember it.

You may have noticed that I'm feeling a bit nostalgic lately. I think that August will always have this effect on me, particularly since I work at a university and will always face a perpetual "back to school" period each summer. The afternoon light is hazy, the traffic is picking up, and I'm trying not to feel bitter about all those cold, rainy days that claimed the beginning of my summer.

When the weather finally cleared, I was able to enjoy some experiences that I haven't had since I was really quite young. The first is going to a beach on the Atlantic Ocean. As you know, I'm quite fond of the balmy waters of the Carribbean, but as a child, I took beach vacations to Rehoboth Beach, DE.

The elapsed time since I last partook in this activity left me questioning my memories, and trying to piece things back together from a height now 3 feet higher. I seemed to remember thrilling ocean waves of hurricane proprotion on even the calmest days. Perhaps DE beaches are just wilder than MA; or rather, it must be because I am no longer knee-high, but the waves still are...


Did you ever read Trumpet of the Swan?
Everyone should.

My next trip to times relatively long ago was to Stratford, ON. I hadn't been to Stratford in years, but have so many memories of our annual (?) trips with my family. This year, I took Pete to see my parents and family friend, see some plays, and see some swans. While they are big birds, they just weren't as big as I remembered. I still backed away as they came out of the water, though. They can clock you.

It's always interesting to contemplate how things change and how they stay the same. Luckily, some things do stay the same.


Regardless of how much height I have gained,
I am still the shortest member of my family.

xo,
L

2 comments:

Pucho V said...

...and stay away from the black squirrels. They have rabies.

Elizabeth Fiorini said...

I really liked this post Leah! Brought back such good memories.