Sunday, June 21, 2009

notes on a first-time soufflé


soufflé take 1...

If you've never made a soufflé before (as I had not until tonight), and you are preparing to move to a new apartment, and you have an injury, this might not be the best time for your first attempt. I, of course, disregarded all of these factors and plowed ahead with the soufflé-making because that. is. what. I. had. planned.

My confidence bolstered by the word on the street that soufflés are undeservedly intimidating -- (They're actually easy, y'all! OK PAULA DEEN WHATEVER.), I figured Pete and I should just go for it, trashed apartment be damned.

Well, it actually wasn't that difficult, but we didn't know that until the end. I decided we should make a green garlic, gruyère, and chive soufflé, which I found on the NYT website. That was probably my first mistake as the NYT food section, as wonderful as it is, assumes that you can cook well enough that you don't need explicit instructions. Like, what temperature you should cook things at? Or, what to do if once you add the milk to your roux it does not thicken and then you think you've just wasted 1/2 dozen eggs, 2 cups milk, and the last remaining shreds of your sanity...?! Alright, I'm being dramatic now.

Once I added more flour to my decidedly not "thick and smooth" beginning step, things began to improve. We finally got the soufflé in the oven, waited 20-25 minutes (as instructed by the NYT), and pulled out our lovely golden soufflé (see above photo).

We admired said golden soufflé for about 2 minutes, which was when I went to serve it and discovered that the interior was still liquid. Hmmm... the liquid tasted good, but was still liquid. Pete and I looked at each other, shrugged, then molded my liquidy scoop of soufflé back into the dish, and popped it in the oven for another 10 minutes.


soufflé take 2...
(You can hardly see the dent, right?)

Success! Who knew that you can just remold your raw soufflé, put it back in the oven, and end up with an even puffier, more golden soufflé in the end?


End result...

Now that I know you don't have to do everything exactly right and you can still turn out a pretty impressive dish, I would concurr that soufflés are more intimidating than they should be. It was a bit of an ordeal to get to that conclusion, but well worth it. Yes, I'll make another!


Do not be afraid.

xo,
L

3 comments:

Courtney said...

This made me smile. Looks deluxe. :)

Pucho V said...

do not fear the soufflé. embrace the soufflé. pay no attention to the dent in the soufflé.

eyeheartorange said...

Um, injured??? Need details. Soufflé looks delish!