Saturday, May 16, 2009

gotta have heart


Hospitals are fun! Hospitals are fun?
Leaving the hospital is fun.
Thursday at 4pm, gave me another reason to count my blessings. It was about that time that Pete and I left the emergency room at Mount Auburn Hospital after arriving 6 hours earlier. Pete called me at work that morning to tell me he was having problems seeing, couldn't remember words, couldn't read, and was generally confused. Our ride to the emergency room was very unsettling as he was mixing up his speech (saying things like "feffrett" instead of "Everett" and asking me to name types of pastries and types of fruits in order to try to figure out what he ate for breakfast (blueberry muffin).

Needless to say, screwing up your speech and forgetting words is not a good sign. He was admitted to the emergency room with "stroke-like symptoms." Long, long story short, after an MRI, CT, Ecocardiogram, lots of bloodwork, etc. the doctors told us that he could go home. All his tests were completely clear, and he mostly likely had an atypical or silent migraine.



Not Pete's heart, but one like it...
I know, 'cause I saw it myself!

I am having a glass of champagne tonight to celebrate my husband's health. This worked out to be the best possible issue considering the symptoms, and, man, am I glad.

So, cheers to you and yours. Go tell someone you love them.

xo,
L

10 comments:

JMP said...

Holy S&%#, Pete & Leah! Really glad Pete is ok. Will give you a call soon.

xoxo
JMP

L said...

Thanks, J. It's so weird to start the day so dramatically, then just have all the Drs say "Ok, you're fine to go home..."

Have been thinking of you and need to get pre-Paris departure recs from you in person!

Courtney said...

OHMYGOODNESS. I am so glad you're okay, P. That must have been so scary.

Anna said...

wow! I can't believe it. I am so glad that everyone is doing well. how scary for you both. Cheers to good health! And I love you!

Katie said...

Man, it stinks to get old. So glad to hear Pete is ok!! Take care!

Elizabeth said...

Thank God for Pete's health! Leah...mad props for driving. I would have passed out. Pete...feel better soon!! xoxo

Elizabeth said...

Also, Pete...you can even make a hospital gown look hot.

Pete said...

Thanks everyone! In spite of my expression in the photo, I really wasn't all that happy with the whole experience. LSB must have caught me in a fleeting moment between the waves of terror, dread, fear, and confusion.

Sule said...

OMG Leah!! Holy crap! Poor you guys. Yay for Pete. Migraines suck. Glad to hear everything is ok.

Tera said...

Oh goodness! Just read this. Pete, so glad you're ok. Those silent migraines are bad. I had one when I was alone at a movie theatre in Seattle last spring. Very scary, but fortunately, temporary. Glad you're better and Leah, as always you are a saintly wife and definitely know your breakfast pastries :)