Saturday, January 17, 2009

taking stock

Q: When is the word "carcass" used to describe something lovely?


Graphic

A: When you're making your own homeade chicken stock.

P and I made some delicious soup that was a version on Italian Wedding soup the other night. It was very tasty, but I ended up buying about $8 of chicken stock to make it, which was very salty and pretty basic tasting.

This inspired us to roast a chicken for dinner last night and drop the resulting CARCASS in the slow cooker for 15hrs (with onion, thyme, basil, bay leaf, carrots, celery) to produce some glorious stock. It just looks rich and so much better than the box or can....

L&P's meatball and whatever's in your fridge soup

Turkey meatballs:

1 lb turkey
1/2 c grated parmesan
S&P
1 c bread crumbs
1/2 c chopped onion (or more if you'd like)

Soup:
Chicken stock (many cups, maybe 12 plus water)
Carrots, celery, onion, whatever is about to go bad in your freezer
1-2 bunches winter greens (we used chard because I couldn't find escarole)
Pepper (I found I did not need salt due to salty chicken broth)

Put all soup ingredients in a pot, boil then simmer until greens are tender, drop in your meatballs and simmer until done (10-15min).


Our super stock is chilling in the fridge right now in prep for eventual freezing. I see a lot of soup in our future...

Stay warm,
L

3 comments:

Pucho V said...

You forgot the part about us lounging on the couch, watching the making of the Star Wars Trilogy, while the carcass simmered in the crock pot. While not exactly Lovely, I think that's somehow important.

Courtney said...

slow cookers = my hero. Seriously. I made two of the most glorious pork loins this week...I just need Andrew to eat them!

The stock looks great...We've been all about making it ourselves for the last couple of years, since we're a big fan of the $6 full chicken, already roasted, when we don't know what else to have for dinner...

Check your email. :)

Tera said...

I made Italian wedding soup last month, and it totally freaked me out that you cook the meatballs in the broth. I was on the lookout for e coli symptons for a while after that, but it tasted great and was delightfully authentic!