Sunday, October 5, 2008

officially fall

K among the apples...

On Saturday, Pete and I headed first to Scituate to have one of Ryan's famous sandwiches, and then to go apple picking a short car ride away. It was a perfect fall day with brilliant blue skies and puffy white clouds. We ate lunch on T&R's back deck while listening to the wind rustle the fall leaves on the trees. R made one of his delicious salads (in which he included sesame seeds), and an even better sandwich of tuna salad (with the perfect amount of mayo and delicious sun-dried tomatoes) topped by alphalpha on a fantastic and hearty multi-grain roll. T and I sipped a chilly gerwerstraminer (note: this is the first time I have ever actually written out "gerwerstraminer." I had to look up the spelling.)

The orchard was hopping. P's quick thinking secured us a picking stick right away -- a very valuable commodity we were later to discover. It's a good thing, too, because P was the tallest among us and therefore did most of the work. He was also the best at deterring the swarms of zombie apple picking moms/dads/kids who repeatedly tried to commandeer our stick. It was brutal out there, but we prevailed with a 1/2 peck each plus 1/2 dozen or so eaten along the way (K single-handedly ate at least 4).



In the orchard...

After picking, we made an impromptu stop at my boss's house where he and his wife were hosting a birthday party for their daughter. We identified their house by the huge inflatable jumping castle in the back yard.

I anticipated stopping in for one beer, but suddenly P&R were playing two rounds of bocce, T, tiny K and I were playing in the back yard and sipping wine with the family and friends at the party, and we even stayed for dinner. It was such an unexpected, but fun way to end the day.

Today, I am left to deal with my 1/2 peck of apples. As I've said before, I'm a cook, but not a baker, so think I will make an easy apple crisp. Pehaps we'll break out some port this evening or mull some cider, as fall had definitely arrived...

Thanks T&R!
xo,
L

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Looks like a lovely day!

eyeheartorange said...

this reminds me of our berry picking adventure many moons ago, somewhere between Canton and Ogdensburg...

L said...

You know, I think about that berry picking often! I think you introduced me to PYO fun...

Sule said...

I LOOOOVES me some Karin!!!

We're taking PAC to the orchard this Sunday. I am on the hunt for the perfect fall sweater for such an occasion.