Saturday, September 27, 2008

rainy day girl


Some thoughts on fall.

After that initial back-to-school feeling of early September wears off, I'm ready to immerse myself in fall, and hunker down for the winter. Living in Massachusetts affords me milder, longer autumns than the NoCo did growing up, and I've slowly learned that I can savor this season a bit, as it is not necessarily going to snow in September (although, it very well could).

The past two days have been dark and rainy. Just the kind of day I despise in March and April (and May, June, July, August), but today I have been enjoying the onset of new pleasures that come with the change of season.

I wore my favorite black cashmere turtleneck for the first time yesterday. I slept in plaid, flannel pajamas. I have started making large batches of chili, spaghetti sauce and meatballs, and drinking big warm red wines. There is a whole new season of produce to explore. I curled up on the couch to watch PBS, and will watch Casablanca tonight while sipping a gin martini. Fleece pants, new episodes of television, fall candles, apple picking, pumpkins, new chocolate brown sheets, down blankets with the windows still open a crack, knee-high boots, fuzzy socks, mulled cider, Halloween, my mother's birthday, crunchy leaves, the smell of wood stoves, scarves, and hot tea are all in season.

Off to simmer my sauce....


xo,
L

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Ahhh. I love autumn! Our beach vacation was great, but now I am firmly in fall-mode.

The grocery stores all had pumpkins and gourds out, which reminded me that I get to take Benjamin to a pumpkin patch in the upcoming days. Yay!