Sunday, August 17, 2008

fried green tomatoes


fried green tomatoes

Um, so I wanted to make sure to write something before an entire postless month goes by. Rercording the happy little things in life is a terrible habit to be out of. So, I will back track a little, as lots of lovely things have happened in the height of summer, and more continue to spring up in anticipation of (gulp) fall.

Have you ever read Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe or seen the movie with the lovely Marie-Louise Parker? I had a period of obsession with first the book, then the movie. I cried when you knew that train was headed for Buddy in the book, and I CRIED when Buddy became Chris O'Donnell in the movie version and you still knew the train was imminent. But, the details of the story that really stuck with me were those pertaining to the food and food culture of the south. The cafe, was of course, almost a character in and of itself, and I was fascinated by the comings and goings, the barbeque out back, and especially by the fried green tomatoes.

I don't think I'd ever had fried green tomatoes until just this July. P and I fried up some firm, celadon-colored tomatoes that we picked up at our local farmers market following a morning run, and while drinking fresh-squeezed lemonade. They were every bit as delicious as I'd hoped, and inspired nostalgia for another time; not only for the days of Idgie and Ruth, but also those of a young me curled around a book and crying for imaginary people whom I loved.

xo,
L

4 comments:

Pucho V said...

Yeah, those things were pretty awesome. By the way, did you cry because they chose Chris O'Donnell to play the role of Buddy or because he was going to get hit by a train?

Courtney said...

I know why she cried. The CO'D crush is pretty old...

I love both the book, and the movie. All of the time. I've yet to make them, though. They look delish!

I am counting down the days until our fun weekend!! (25, by the way)

L said...

C -- you nailed it....

eyeheartorange said...

so impressed that you made those! missed your blog, lady!