Sunday, August 24, 2008

dejeuner sur l'herbe...


Summer day on the Charles...

On one of the last summer Sundays of the year, P & I finally took advantage of our own city. We packed up some farmers market melon, brie, fig jam, baguette, and a cleverly camoflauged bottle of rose and headed to the Esplanade for a picnic.



My mom gave me these lobster spreaders

I've been internally debating this "staycation" term that is trendy right now. I don't really understand it. Why do you have to come up with a term for "take time to enjoy the place you live?" I understand it's marketing to help people who aren't going away for vacation because of the economy, but I just feel like it kind of puts a negative connotation on something lovely -- appreciating your surroundings, being grateful for where you are, enjoying being home.


Life is but a dream....

We hopped off the train after three stops and strolled along the park, out to the island and picked a shady spot under some willow trees overlooking the sailing teams slicing by, and novice boaters getting used to the water.


I wore one of my favorite lady dresses...
perfect for a picnic when paired with
end of summer super-sale flip flops.

There were lots of puppies, bicycles, joggers, and lazy picnicers sprawled out under the trees, or soaking in the sun.


New England appropriate picnicware

I consider any day not at work (vacation/personal/weekend) a wonderfully lucky day. I do not need to give it a special term.


Late dejeuner sur l'herbe...

xo,
L

3 comments:

JMP said...

We probably just missed seeing you guys, as we got off at that very same stop and walked (in the opposite direction) along the river to the MoS.

L said...

JMP - we've been talking about piquenique-ing with you guys. We think you would make excellent picnic partners.

Pucho V said...

the word "staycation" makes me cringe