Friday, June 6, 2008

it eez a lake fish

I have safely returned from my adventures in France, and will now begin detoxifying. I didn't realize that one could eat fois gras and a vat of fondue in a single sitting, drink a bottle of wine and not have one's heart immediately explode in one's chest. However, it is possible. At the request of Pucho, I would like to update you on something I learned (or didn't learn?) about French food. French fish to be exact.

For the past four years, I have had the unlucky job requirement of making an annual trip to Talloires, France which, by the way, is one of the 1000 places you should see before you die. Check. It is a culinary extravaganza filled with local seasonal produce, meats, cheeses, chocolate, and wine. As Talloires is situated on beautiful, pristine Lac Annecy, fish often feature prominently on our menus. I have learned many new fish vocabulary words: perche (perch), brochet (pike, I believe), truite (trout), and finally: féra. Comment dit-t-on féra en anglais? I ask every year. The reply I receive without fail: it eez a lake fish.


Do you know this fish?

Ah, I see, a "lake fish." Not only a lake fish, but most definitely not a fish that we have in the States. Non. This fish exists only in lakes of Savoie and Lake Geneva. You do not have zis feesh! How French, I kept thinking. They can't possibly imagine that this fantastic fish could exist somewhere outside of France (or French-speaking Switzerland). My curiosity piqued again this year, I have done some research on féra and have come to one definite conclusion: féra is, indeed, a very special lake fish.

xo,
L

4 comments:

pucho said...

At last, the mystery of the delicious lake fish has been solved (sort of). God bless Wikipedia.

Courtney said...

So funny. Check out my post from tonight for some high school humor. WHO KNEW weezer's old school would make iTunes' top 100. Must be in a movie that I don't have a baby sitter to go see, or something...

glad you had a safe return.

xoxo,
cjc.

Katie & Kyle said...

Thanks for the translation of pike. Hmmm...how would Brochet be for a dog's name? It would definitely have to be a white, fluffy, frenchie type dog, a la Chewy and Willie.

eyeheartorange said...

welcome back to the greatest country on earth! I thoroughly enjoyed your post whilst procrastinating dans mon bureau.