Wednesday, May 21, 2008

experiment

During one of my 3pm slumps earlier this week, I decided that I would make herb-infused simple syrup, which I would then turn into a lovely, non-alcoholic herbal Italian soda, according to Martha’s advice. I had some basil in the fridge that was past pesto stage, but not on it’s last legs, which I thought would fit the bill perfectly. I was already thinking about my refreshing, sparkly beverage that would surely taste like summer.


basil lily pads

Simple Syrup infused with herbs:
1 cup water
½ cup granulated sugar
Herbs of your choice

Simmer sugar and water until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and add your herbs. Let cool completely. Strain through sieve. Add a few Tbls to a tall glass and top with soda water. Bendy straws and garnish optional.


You can even freeze it for a month! Love the freezer.



I cooled my syrup on what is known as “the holy trivet,”
my one attempt at painting-my-own-pottery…

Hmmm… it was good. I think? I think it needed something else, like lemon, maybe? Or, gin and lemon? Mint might have made for a better soda, or maybe thyme syrup would make a tasty lemonade.

Anyway, I thing there is great cocktail potential in this syrup so I am saving it. Probably would make a delicious basil gimlet? It has that aromatic quality that St. Germain Elderflower liquor has.

Suggestions?
xo,
L
PS: Is it summer yet?

1 comment:

Courtney said...

We had an *almost* summer day, and Benjamin stayed up late like it was summer, but I am not buying it, based on the weather.


I agree, this should probably be reserved for some good gin. Remember the bottle of T??? I still think about that and giggle every time we restock!