Sunday, April 20, 2008

momentous occasion


We ate dinner with the windows open on Friday night.

To celebrate this momentous occasion, one that I have been anticipating for a long time now, P and I decided to cook up something extremely simple, and very delicious: mussels.


No need to use a lemon, they are just pretty...
[Note: the next day I turned this lemon into delicious fresh-squeezed lemonade, spiked it with gin and added a few drops of rosewater. Refreshing and delicious...]

Probably the main reason mussels are so delicious is because they are cooked in gobs of butter (in the version that Anthony Bourdain describes, anyway). I'm sure you could be more health-conscious, but that wasn't really the goal.

So basically, chopped up a bunch of shallots (one of my VERY favorite ingredients in almost anything), added to melted butter, cooked two minutes, poured in a cup of wine, raised the heat, dropped in the scrubbed and de-bearded mussels, steamed them open, threw in more butter, plus parsley, et voila.


MMmmmm....

Usually I don't believe in parsley and generally think it is overrated, but would definitely include it when making mussels.


I admit it, parsley can be useful and delicious

With the windows still open, P and I sat down to our first open-window dinner of the season. We ate about a loaf of bread to soak up all the juices and sipped a muscat-viognier.



Lovely with the windows open...

Tonight we're going to try to get ourselves in the Caribbean mindset in preparation for our Vacation, and have tentative plans to have Caribbean influenced cocktails and dinner tonight. Would appreciate any ideas, as I'm at a loss for an entree, and have too many ideas of how to incorporate rum into just about everything. At least we have high-quality entertainment lined up.

xo,
L

3 comments:

courtney said...

Not quite Caribbean influenced, but I am always a fan of the margarita...Anna, Andrew and I mixed some up this week! ALWAYS a fan.

Enjoy your evening. We're making homemade pizzas...the only way I can sneak veggies into Benjamin!

L said...

I considered margaritas! I was like, gulf of Mex is close-ish? Sorta? Anyway, ended up with a darn'n'stormy and later seltzer with lime.

Oh, and definitely do not recommend Pirates of the Caribbean III - it was perhaps the worst movie I've ever seen, and I'm not sure that it actually took place in the Caribbean...

eyeheartorange said...

I like to make mango, avocado, corn, red pepper, red onion and cilantro salad/salsa and eat it with fish. Mix all that chopped stuff with a splash of oj and a little brown sugar. Can't miss! Great for entertaining.