Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Holiday Redux, Part Deux: WNY, or how we put 1300 miles on the car

Part I

Part II: WNY, or how we put 1300 miles on the car
OR
Part II: Sheep, and chickens, and doggies, oh my...
Part II of the grand holiday tour started the day after Christmas. P and I jumped in our rented white Chevy Cobalt (yeee-haw!), which had 12 miles on it when we picked it up, and headed southwest to the land of VanDer...

For those of you unfamiliar with VanDerChristmas, let me enlighten you. I am by no means an expert, as this is only my 2nd VDC, but I will do my best to describe the festivities. I have 5 people in my family. P has 5million. Ok, ok, that is totally not true, and fortunately each one of the VanDers is fantastic (or, VanDertastic, you really can't over use the prefix). Upon arrival, we were greeted by approximately 11 family members and 2 friendly, furry dogs. I don't like math, so if my numbers are off, forgive me, but I think there were 15 people at B&B's house by the end of the night.


VanDers, VanDers, everywhere...

It was beautiful Christmas mayhem filled with kiddies (which we had none of for NoCo xmas), cookies, lots of laughing, presents, noise, homemade beer (courtesy of J), and "dead monkey." It's ok, it wasn't really dead, but that's another story. Actually, it wasn't really a monkey, either. Huh.



New nieces and nephew engage in serious conversation...


Anyway, I'm off track already. The next day, people started going their separate ways, and P and I began making the rounds by family. This was very enjoyable for me -- I'm not a competitive conversationalist, and do much better in small groups. First, off to Tburg to see H, J, and L. We had our first non-holiday oriented meal, and it was fantastic. I've never enjoyed eating bean burritos so much in my life. I could feel my arteries clearing. The Broken Tree Ale and H's special slaw didn't hurt either. L entertained us with her "beautiful hair," fairy dress, and various Simon-says routines. H showed us L's ukulele, which L apparently mistook for a magically shrunken version of a guitar and was therefore afraid of it. Their house was so cozy, warmed by their brand spankin' new stove. After our relaxing dinner, we headed back to B&B's for the night.

Day three. Place: the Chevy Cobalt. Rather, the Chevy Cobalt with the huge spoiler. The time: morning-ish. Our destination was the LVs, to be followed by a visit to the family M close to Buffalo.

We arrived at the LV homestead around noon and made our way toward the house. I had asked P if he had locked the car and he made fun of me because clearly there were more chickens around than people. Whatever. You should always lock your car. Crazy chickens....

To be continued.....
Dun dun DAH!
xo,
L
ps - photos to be added as soon as I acquire them.
pps - thanks to H for my beautifully wrapped, wonderful Secret Santa gift. We used the truffle oil on NYE -- DELICIOUS!!
ppps - other gifts various people received included Mad Housewife Merlot, a Maul (sp? Which, is like a giant ax/sledgehammer, I learned), socks made of corn, and a singing snowman that grew and melted...

1 comment:

JuneBug said...

dude. you have in-law fam in Tburg? If you are referring to Trumansburg, NY... Then you should come visit HERE sometime too! We are totally on your way, off rte 79 just before I-town. And I would love to see you since it has been what... 12 years?!