Sunday, December 16, 2007

H.A.S., #4: Let it snow...

Let it snow: Storm #1, University closes! Adult snow day!

The good ol' days in the northeast have returned. Not yet officially winter, and we have already experienced two major(ish) winter storms. For the past several years, global warming has afforded us quite mild Decembers. However, this December refreshes my childhood memories of trudging through snow, having enough snow to tunnel through and build forts in, and snow that stays on the ground for a long time rather than falling and melting within hours. I was beginning to wonder if those memories were just warped by childhood perception and not the way winter really used to be. Guess I remembered correctly.

This past Thursday, we had a city-stopping snowstorm that even closed the University. I got to go home at 2pm! P got stranded and it took him 3 hours by foot/bus to make it home. I was cranky waiting for him because I wanted to be enjoying my extra hours in my cozy home with my husband. Winter is tough, but I have to say, there is something truly wonderful about watching snow swirl outside your window while you are sitting by the glow of your Christmas tree, drinking hot cider or tea.

Snowstorm #2 (or, technically, a Nor'easter) is still blowing as I type. P and I had a lovely Christmas brunch planned with our friends C&M. They got stuck and couldn't come, Boo! However, the upside is that all the hardwork P & I did yesterday to prepare for our foiled brunch resulted in a a very romantic breakfast for the two of us....

Storm #2: Canceled holiday brunch turns to
romantic holiday breakfast...

Do you like my holly berry accents to our table settings? I was so happy to be using our shiny new silverware, pretty plates, new FRENCH linen napkins (Thanks, Uncle Don! You have such good taste.), and best of all -- champagne glasses. If you haven't figured out by now, I am a fiend for champagne, especially when you get to drink it in the morning. Decadent! We had delicious mimosas with my carefully planned menu:

  • Strata with ham, mushroom, and onion
  • Overnight French Toast with brown sugar coating, and topped with pecans and triple sec-spiked whipped topping
  • Canteloupe with mint (forgot to serve it, but it would have been perfect)

Finish with some good Christmas CDs, candles, and mimosas -- fantastic!

Needless to say, minus two people, we have tons of food to hold us through this storm and a major present wrapping marathon today. We have some mindless movies to keep us busy, eggnog, cider, hot chocolate -- we'll be set, if not a few pounds heavier by the end.

Christmas is getting near! I realized yesterday, that as an adult, the day is not so important anymore as the lead-up. Relishing the holiday season as a whole can be wonderful. I am looking forward to going home to my parents at the end of this week. They have instilled in me some wonderful holiday traditions, including special ways to count down throughout Advent. I picked up an Advent candle to share with P when I was at Westminster Abbey.

Counting down... this candle is from Westminster Abbey

Five days until we head home for the holidays! Until then, I leave you with a picture of P and I on a sleigh ride. Everyone should take one at least once.
Sleigh ride... lovely photo courtesy of Daria!
I am going to finish my mimosa now, and start with the wrapping. More to come....
xo,
L

1 comment:

Courtney said...

No snow south of the Mason-Dixon line...bummer. They were calling for a fair amount on Saturday, but we never saw a flake.

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend!!!

xoxo