Friday, November 9, 2007

H.A.S., #2: Oh, Joy!

Sharing the Joy...
Essential for a proper Thanksgiving feast.
Thanksgiving is stressful for many people, and was for me, too, until I decided that I would become a permanent hostess at home and never travel for T Day. Ever. Again. Much better! Granted, I am in a lucky position where P and I can see both of our families around Christmas, so there is less pressure on Thanksgiving.

Being a bit, er, anal, for lack of a better descriptor, my first crack at hosting Thanksgiving involved many revised shopping lists, a spreadsheet, a food-prep and cooking timeline, post-it note tabs to mark important recipes in my FAVORITE cookbook, and a formal menu in a separate Word doc. Keep in mind, this was a totally normal Thanksgiving spread, I just was determined to get it right.

Tabs: proper preparation is important...

I believe P surveyed my pre-cooking organization and dubbed me the "Thanksgiving Nazi," but all turned out well, if I do say so myself. I think this year marks the 3rd or 4th "L&P do Thanksgiving." The only think I can't get quite right is that 4pm dinnertime that people seem to shoot for. I seem to get dinner on the table around 6:30. The first time around this prolonged preparation resulted in me, my two roommates at the time, my two friends, and P consuming 12 bottles of wine between noon and 7pm. Good times. My one roommate actually ended up taking a nap before dinner. Or perhaps it was in the middle of dinner...

Anyway, our digs are considerably more cozy in our new apartment, so we really only have between 2-4 very exclusive spots available for guests. I think we're hosting the same two we had last year: My co-worker/friend M, and our half-Canadian friend, D. Anyone who knows me knows I have a bit of a Canadian fetish, so I especially like hanging out with D. He is amazed with my Canadianness. But! I digress...

I will save my menu selections this year for a future post. As I mentioned in H.A.S., #1, I can go on about this stuff forever...
L

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We hope to be there for next T-day!!

B & O