Tuesday, October 9, 2007

A very fall weekend...


Let's go for a hayride! A wonderful hayride...


This past weekend was the first weekend that really seemed like "fall" to me. It was so hot on Friday, then Saturday was cool and cloudy - I wore a green sweater with a hood and jeans; fall clothing makes me happy.

P and I also went on a fall family outing, complete with hayrides, pumpkins, apples, cider doughnuts (a new, and EVIL delicacy for me - note: they are "fried in grease."), geese, frogs, mud, little kids, and runny noses.

I've been pretty focused on doing some apple picking this fall and so far my plans have been foiled. I was set to pick this weekend, until I showed up at Smolak Farm, and saw some lovely bags of pre-picked apples already waiting for me. Suddenly, it seemed much more convenient to purchase my expensive apples sans manual labor, but thought, no, I must Pick Ur Own Apples.




However, much to my chagrin/delight, the trees had been picked clean already! I was free to buy apples for $7.95 and not feel bad for not picking them myself.



P & I spent all of our money here.


This purchase was followed-up by a hayride through the pumpkin patch with my new sister-in-law, husband, and 2 new nephews. We thought it would make a stop in the pumpkin patch, but it went right through, dropping us off at the bottom of a hill and leaving us to walk back to the patch. A thinks the patch was pre-seeded with pumkins from other places. Ha. She was worried S & D would want enormous pumpkins, but luckily, they only wanted ones they could carry themselves. I just saw here that they had pumpkin ice cream for sale. Probably better I missed that.


Yesterday, I put my fall fantasy of baking my (pre)picked apples into full effect. I made a huge pot of spaghetti and meatballs and sausage (mom's recipe + dad's amount of wine added) while P and our friend M were on a man date at the movies. When they returned to the apartment, I was peeling and chopping apples -- I looked very Martha, I'm sure.




Love you, Martha...


I've been obsessed with the idea of eating apple crisp with tawny port, thanks to Karen McNeil and my Wine-a-Day Calendar; I got my wish. And, I have leftovers so I can re-enact for the rest of the week.

No comments: